Values show the number of unicorn (co-)founders who have a particular major. Majors with at least 10 founders are shown. Data covers 531 US companies that became unicorns (+$1 billion valuation) between 1997-2019.
Data by Ilya Strebulaev and his team at Stanford GSB Business Venture Capital Initiative identified academic degrees earned by 1,263 of 521 US unicorns.
- 236 founders (19%) have an MBA degree.
- 217 founders (17%) have Master’s degrees other than MBAs.
- 39 people have a dual Master’s degree, including an MBA.
- 286 founders (23%) earned doctoral degrees, such as Ph.D. and MD.
- 15 people have an MBA and a doctoral degree.
- And 56 founders dropped out of college (many in order to start their companies).
#startups #founders #majors #education
Source: Ilya Strebulaev, Venture Capital Initiative, Stanford GSB
Thank you for playing today's Factle! What major did you study in university? Have you started a company that has become a unicorn? Check out the full dataset. Create a chart to break it down and contribute an insight for the community to explore!