Collections

1. Loading
Visible everywhere
author profile photo
Patrick Russo
andrew Andrew
Not sure what the graph is saying. Can somebody give a simplified overview what we're seeing here?

2000 characters left

patrick Patrick Russo

A full description can be found in

Krause, P. R., Fleming, T. R., Peto, R., Longini, I. M., Figueroa, J. P., Sterne, J. A., ... & Henao-Restrepo, A. M. (2021). Considerations in boosting COVID-19 vaccine immune responses. The Lancet, 398(10308), 1377-1380.

at https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02046-8/fulltext#%20

Each quadrant is looking at vaccine efficacy against severe disease or death on the Y axis and any infection on the X axis.

alex Alex Damianou
How would I know that this conversation continued without clicking on the comment?
patrick Patrick Russo

It said 1 comment instead of 0.

Maybe the count should include the top level thread/comment? (so it's 1 if no responses, 2 if there is a response?)

alex Alex Damianou

where does it show the number of comments? i only see # of up or down votes

alex Alex Damianou

No Data Sources Found

we should have a mechanism that doesn't allow you to post a chart unless it is accompanied by a dataset!

andrew Andrew
Can anybody give a quick summary of what we're seeing (even simpler than Lancet article?) Explain it to me like I'm 5. I will tip you 5 likes.
patrick Patrick Russo
You can only give one, like, sorry!
patrick Patrick Russo
these aren't medium claps! :)
patrick Patrick Russo

There's 4 graphs, but I'll focus on one for simplicity.

Take the bottom right graph

• the Y axis is the effectiveness of vaccines against severe disease
  • the X axis is the effectiveness of vaccines against ANY infection (severe or mild or asymptomatic)
  • while the effectiveness of vaccines against any infection drops LATER (i.e., a long time after vaccination) relative to EARLY (i.e., soon after vaccination), the change in effectiveness against severe disease is minor.
  • this indicates that while the effectiveness of vaccines against any infection does wane over time, the effectiveness against severe disease remains strong

andrew Andrew

I have several accounts. I can give you 5 likes =) But the quick summary?

I am about to do a Black Friday subscription to competitor product (for a 3-year subscription), but wanted to see if it was quick and easy to get insights here and see what the community was like. No problem if the quick summary is not on the table.

andrew Andrew

Ahhh (Note) your summary didn't show up as I was writing out my reply ( my reply no longer makes sense contextually in the time frame.). I can't edit or delete my old comment.

andrew Andrew
Thank you for the summary, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
andrew Andrew

I just read your reply. It was only 1 graph summarized out of 4, so I will have to edit my above compliment to say, you are a (1/4) gentleman and a (1/4) scholar. Good day to you sir.

Also, it was not summarized simply enough -- that was "explain it to me like I am 12", I need a "explain it to me like I'm 5". (No offense to 5-year olds current or future.)

alex Alex Damianou
i wonder if people might use openaxis to generate or retrieve datasets on charts in the wild that are PNGs and don't have the data available -- e.g., "hi guys, i saw this awesome chart from a 2005 article in the economist. can someone help me generate the dataset?" or like a quora for data and charts -- hi guys, i'm doing research on climate change, can someone share the most important datasets or interesting charts available? or hi guys, here is a carbon emissions dataset, i made this chart, can you come up with anything else?